Vincent Thomas Bridge, Los Angeles
BRIDGE STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING PROJECT
- Location: Los Angeles, California
- Structure type: Bridge
- Purpose: To measure and record continuous data for 6 months for the university and regional authoritites to assess bridge structural performance.
- Channel Count: 26 channels
- Sensor type(s): Accelerometers
- Overview: The Vincent Thomas Bridge was the first bridge to be constructed on pilings and spans some 1850m. It crosses the Los Angeles Harbor and links San Pedro with Terminal Island. The bridge needed one of Digitexx’s sophisticated structural health monitoring system due to the high volume of traffic over the bridge daily and its vulnerability to possible earthquakes and terrorism. A 26-channel, 16 bit system was installed and distributed data to three different remote locations in real-time. The system was monitored from 2003 – 2006 and provided a wealth of data pertaining to the effects of high traffic volume.
Download the full case study to the left.